Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The tippety top.

So my buddy Steve asked the question, and i had to answer. Here are some of the most influential albums in my life

First and foremost i will address the raidohead issue even though i would not put it in my number one slot. Sorry boys and gal, but i must disagree. I think the bends had a lot more influence on me... sorry.




For me its near impossible to narrow it down to three to five and top albums are always swirling in and out for me. but i think i can narrow it down to a few... categories! I mean i have faves from all different walks of life. I guess the only preface that i can give to a post as loaded as this is that you really should support these artists and buy some of these albums. I would not lead you astray. Here they are in no particular order.

The early days: When i first discovered my own music.
1. Stone Temple Pilots, Core.
I still remember the first time i heard this album. Blew me away. Still does.







2. Barenaked Ladies, Gordon and
The Tragically Hip, Day For A Night.
I don't think you could be a Canadian adolescent in the mid 90's and not have these as favorites.




3. The Smashing Pumpkins, Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness.
If you have ever listened to this one from stem to stern, you know why its on my list.






4. Pearl Jam, Ten.
Steve knows...you should too







5. Rage Against The Machine, Rage Against The Machine.
Every now and then an album comes along that just makes you want to swear and break stuff. This album is no exception.





Classic Rock: That phase everyone goes through when the artist of your day make dumb music.
1. The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
My Father had(s) this on vinyl and it was one of the only ones that we still have. I remember being like 6 and listening to this album, making it the first one i listened to all the way through by myself.




2. Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon.
I refused to take this out of the first slot in my cd booklet. To this day i don't think i have listened to one album more than this one, and it will be a while before i trump that record.



3. The Rolling Stones, Sticky Fingers.
Completely a guilty pleasure. And no, its not real.





4. Led Zeppelin, Presence.
I know its not I, II, III, or IV, but its my fave. Don't know why.








New School: Music is getting good again and i think we are only seeing the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
1. The Killers, Sam's Town.
If you know me at all, i have told you to listen to this album.







2. Sam Roberts Band, Chemical City.
I saw this band randomly as they opened for the aforementioned Tragically Hip. They remain the only band that i had to have their album after only having heard them live.




3. Death Cab For Cutie, Plans.
So good. Thanks mike.






4. Nada Surf, Lucky.
Brand new and i cant stop. I work with some guys that really opened up my musical mind. Thanks Guys.


So there they are.

No comments: